Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Just a rant...

It may just be me, but I have been seething for the last couple of weeks as the "food police" seem to be on a vendetta to ruin my dining out experiences. NY's decision to police restaurants that serve unhealthy food is beyond the pale and the most assinine thing I have heard of in a long time. Typical democrat philosophy to save us from ourselves whether we want it or not. Since about 10 years ago, when that obscure multi-millinaire (can't remember the wacko's name) ran that full page ad against McDonald's, Wendy's and Burger King saying that they cooked their french fries in "beef tallo," the fast food franchises went full tilt to make their "fast-food" healthy and thus made their food taste awful. Since when were these people appointed to "protect" me from eating the foods I like and enjoy.

I admit that my tastes may have just changed over the years but I've found that most fast food nowadays are just plain and lack any taste. I remember as a kid almost drooling at the thought of a Burger King hamburger or even better a Wendy's Burger (Ok, McDonald's has never had a good tasting burger); but those days are long gone. Not to mention, McDonald's french fries were bar-none awesome, but after that idiot crack-pot millionaire's stunt, they changed their shortening and the taste has never been the same. Compound that with Wendy's and Burger King's doing likewise, and well the result is fries that I wouldn't serve to my dog (and I don't even have a dog).

First, I have a couple of observations; 1) I doubt that this obnoxious millionaire even was a patron of these restaurants, thus why should his opinion matter; 2) People who normally buy fast food are doing so because they like the food, its cheap and fast (Usually.. another rant at another time); and 3) They are accepting of the fact that its not the healthiest choice of food and still patronize the restaurant.

At this rate, I have few choices when having to select a fast dinner (as a law student who works full time, this is often my only option). I support any attempt by these companies to provide "other" healthy options, but leave the main menu items alone! Not to mention, quit using inferior meat products (Wendy's); they use to have the most awesome burgers (remember the juicy burger commercials); now they're dry and are not even close to the taste they built the company on. Even if it caused the price to rise, I'd still go there if the quality, and service was consistent. Instead, the service of all of these companies is usually beyond bad (Leo Gett's drive thru montage in Lethal Weapon doesn't even come close to the reality of most!) and the food is just plain terrible. Ok, now that I've vented... I feel much better.... I'd go for a burger if there was a decent one to be had! LOL

For the record and to be fair, I've been most impressed with the service and product at the Chick-fil-a restaurants here in Virginia. In Louisiana (where I'm originally from) they were only in malls, but there are stand alone units here that I frequent on a regular basis. Trying to be fair and balanced even in my food critiques. :)

- Jay

1 Comments:

At 3:35 PM, Blogger Kat said...

Amen. Consider your rant seconded, and I suspect that if you put it to a vote the motion would be carried. The thing is that it's all so stupid. Ideas about nutrition shift with every wandering breeze. Right now the fat police are running the neighborhood, but someday it will be another fad. I can't wait for the day when some scientific study or other finds that Americans are unhealthy and obese because they aren't getting enough fat in their diets. Eggs used to be good for you, you know, and then they weren't, and now they're edging that way again. How about "Moderation In All Things" and personal responsibility? I want to know why pro "choice" so seldom seems to apply to my choices!! Okay, my rant is over now too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home