Monday, November 06, 2006

The Party Matters Sometimes More Than The Individual Candidate

Its often been said, "To tell who a man really is, look and see who he walks with and stands with." In the present election, there has been a lot of discussion among conservatives about "sitting it out" to bring the Republican Party back to its senses, a virtual "don't you forget about me again" power move. As a very conservative individual who is very issue driven in my choices for candidates, I must confess a certain degree of dissatisfaction with many mis-steps and disagreement with certain policies by the Republican Party and the Administration over the last several years. However, I will vote in this election and I sincerely hope that all conservatives (whether evangelical or otherwise) will vote also for the Republican candidates.

My reasons are simple:

1) When I have supported and voted for a candidate then in a sense he has an obligation (albeit slight) to at least listen to my concern on issues of importance when he/she is in office;
2) The party stances on critical international issues are so stark and irreconcilable that a shift in the party in power would have a dramatic impact upon the countries where we are currently engaged in the war on terror;
3) The lives of millions of people in the countries of Iraq, and Afghanistan would be severely placed in jeapardy by a pre-mature pull-out advocated by the Democratic Party, in the same way millions were murdered and left to the mercy of evil when the U.S. pulled out of Vietnam; and
4) Although I'm not always pleased with the Republicans' decisions, I have a voice and my views are at least considered; if the Democrats take control, then my voice is ignored in the same way it was during the entire Clinton Presidency (Not surprisingly, I'm not one of their constituents why should my views matter).

The choice is clear now more than ever, if your views are conservative and you believe in conservative causes, then a vote for a democrat or a vote of abstention will help the very party whose views are contrary to your own. We often tell children not to cut off their nose to spite their face, but when upset as adults we often do the same thing. The issues are too important and critical to let pride or self righteousness overcome your common sense. Instead play a part in the Republican Victory and become engaged in the debate to change the issue positions that you do not support.

2 Comments:

At 5:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey bro., I appreciate your encouragement on my blog. Thanks for stopping by.

I don't that I am going to be involved in this election or not. The more I pray about it, the less citizenship I feel. I have yet to work out all the details, but I just don't feel right about it this year around.

 
At 11:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the fresh perspective on the issue. I think it has helped me to come to some resolve.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home