Monday, January 19, 2009

My thoughts on the Inauguration...

Despite my personal experiences, I readily admit that I have never personally endured the hateful or violent experiences of those who have been victims of racism. Given this obvious lack of perspective, I guess it is not surprising that I have not understood how people of color and spiritual conviction have been captivated and mesmerized by the person of Obama. I have been bewildered that many of my friends and acquiantances of color have been so caught up in the euphoria surrounding the inauguration. In many cases, these friends of color who are often as conservative and spriritually minded as myself have appeared to be blinded by the person of Obama and seemingly unaware of his agenda and views which in many cases are diametrically opposite to their own. All I can surmise is that the perspective of being an African American and having endured the stigma and at times cruelty of racism has overwhelmed their sensibilities in that they are caught up in the wonder that something they never truly thought would ever happen... has occurred. While encouraged that there are increasing numbers of people who are not driven by racial hatred to elect an African American President, I am equally dismayed that they elected this African American man. My dissent is not to the President-Elect's color but rather his views, platform, agenda and character. While some may view my disapproval as a sign of racism, I would gladly have given my vote, money and support for several African American people had they been a candidate. While my refusal to jump on the Obama Bandwagon may be called racist by some who don't know me, it remains deeply rooted in my belief that this man, regardless of his color, is not and will not be a good president. I pray for the sake of my children and our country that I am proven wrong.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home